Genital Herpes is a sexually transmitted virus that is caused by the herpes simplex virus. It is a highly contagious virus that can spread through skin-to-skin contact and can be passed between partners during sexual activities. While there is no cure for genital herpes, it is possible to manage the symptoms and reduce the risk of transmission. Here are some facts about genital herpes that you need to know:
1. Genital herpes is very common - it is estimated that about one in six people between the ages of 14 and 49 in the U.S. have the virus.
2. Genital herpes can be spread even when there are no visible symptoms, so it is important to practice safe sex and use protection when engaging in sexual activities.
3. Symptoms of genital herpes can include itching, burning, and pain in the genital area, as well as painful sores or blisters.
4. Genital herpes can be treated with antiviral medications, although these medications cannot cure the virus.
5. It is important to talk to your doctor if you think you may have genital herpes, as they can provide information and treatment options.
6. People with genital herpes can still have healthy, fulfilling relationships. It is important to be open and honest with your partner about your diagnosis and to practice safe sex.